Massage Certification

What do all Those Initials Mean?

Massage Certification is a broad term. The more initials you can get to your credit, the more marketable you are as a Certified Massage Therapist and the more successful your practice will become.

Getting your Massage Therapy License is the first big step in starting work as a Massage Therapist. So what do all those initials of certification mean? LMT, MT, CMT – etc… Here is an overview of what those initials stand for:

Massage Certification – Massage Therapy and Bodywork Credentials

  • ACRH – Advanced Certified Rolfer – this certification might require a 730 hour course program in addition to massage studies and understanding of the human body
  • CA – Certified Acupuncturist – There are different regulations for certification, depending on state. An example is the state of California’s 3000 hour program and requirement of passing the with an additional 150 hour Acupressure studies program at an approved school for certification.
  • CAMT (CAT) – Certified Acupressure Massage Therapist – This credential might take 1000 hours of course study in massage along with 150 hours at an approved school of training.
  • CMT – Certified Massage Therapist – this is offered by many massage therapy institutes and can vary from 500 to 1000 hour program depending on school accreditation and state.
  • CR – Certified Reflexologist – This course of study involves understanding of Anatomy & Physiology pertaining to the feet, hands and sometime ears along with advanced knowledge of reflexology. This course is available and might require 125 to 150 hours of study and is good to have in addition to your massage therapy certification or license although it can be a stand alone certification.
  • LMT – Licensed Massage Therapist – Much the same as CMT, but this includes licensure in addition to a possible 500 to 1000 certified hour course program. The license might be part of a state requirement license. It is more likely to be associated with passing the national massage therapy exam known as NCETMB, NCETM, NCBTMB or the National Certified Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork. This is a prestigious license to have to your credit and is very valuable to have national recognition.
  • LMP – Licensed Massage Practitioner – See LMT. This is a massage therapist practitioner that has certified and licensed. Depending on state – 500 to 1000 hour program and state and/or national massage therapy license.
  • MMP – Medical Massage Practitioner – Various degrees and certification programs are available.
  • MP – Massage Practitioner – This is offered by several massage therapy institutes. To qualify for this massage therapy license the course might require a 500 hour program depending on state of licensure.
  • MT – Massage Technician – This is a starting point certification offered by some schools. Depending on state, this course may require 110 hours of study.
  • MT – Massage Therapist – basically the same as Massage Technician, anyone who practices massage therapy is a Massage Therapist. Some training institutes offer this as a degreed program and can also be similar to a Certified Massage Therapist. This varies from state to state.
  • NMRT – Certified Neuromuscular Rehabilitation Therapist – This is another good certification to have in addition to your massage therapy certification, but is offered as a stand alone certification and is recognized by some states for medical billing requirements. This might involve a course that includes 125 hour certification program. This certification concentrates on treatment and rehabilitation of sports and repetitive strain injuries and focuses on range of motion and tools to reduce neuromuscular pain while improving function.
  • RM – Reiki Master – completion of levels I and II and might include one year as a apprentice to Reiki Master. No Certification.
  • RMT – Registered Massage Therapist – This form of credential is often times seen in accreditation of Canadian Massage Therapists. In the United States a Registered Massage Therapist might be certified through a 500 hour course program and has the ability to work in a private practice, health club or spa. Maryland is one state that offers this certification.